Refinancing your home loan involves comparing your existing home or investment loan with what is available in the wider market and if it makes financial sense it is swapped out with a new mortgage agreement typically with a new lender.. This process allows you to take advantage of better interest rates, more favourable loan terms, or access equity in your property to spend on almost anything you like. At Axton Finance, we understand that your financial situation and needs can change over time, and refinancing offers an opportunity to optimise your home loan. Here are some ways refinancing may benefit you:
- Lower Interest Rates: If market conditions have shifted or your lending capacity and credit score is good, refinancing can lead to lower interest rates and cheaper monthly repayments. You can use the monthly savings and plough them back into the loan to help speed up your debt reduction plans or use the savings for any other of life’s demands.
- Accessing Equity: If your property has increased in value or you’ve made significant repayments, you may have built up equity. Equity is simply the difference between the value of your property and the amount owing on it. Refinancing allows you to access this equity, which you can use for home improvements, investments, consolidating debts, or other personal or financial needs.
- Consolidating Debts: If you have other debts with higher-interest rates, such as credit cards, car loans or personal loans, refinancing can be an effective way to consolidate these debts into your home loan. By doing so, you’ll have a single, more manageable repayment at a potentially lower interest rate but this needs to be applied with caution as you don’t want these typically shorter loan terms being paid over a much longer loan term associated with a normal home or investment loan
- Changing Loan Features: Refinancing enables you to switch to a loan product with features that better suit your current circumstances. For example, you may want to move from a variable rate to a fixed rate, or vice versa, or set up an offset home loan which is a linked savings account that does not pay interest but the balance instead ‘offsets’ the balance of the mortgage loan which in turn can be an effective structure to pay off your home loan sooner.
- Debt Repayment Strategies: Our mortgage brokers can work with you to develop a personalised debt repayment strategy, which may involve refinancing at strategic intervals to optimise your financial outcomes.
Before proceeding with refinancing, it’s essential to consider potential costs, such as exit fees from your current lender, application fees, legal fees and whether any other short term offers exist such as honeymoon interest rate periods or cashback offers from a shortlisted lender. Our experienced team at Axton Finance will conduct a comprehensive assessment of your financial situation using industry leading tools, guide you through the process, and help you determine if refinancing is the right choice for you.